Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Respect for Law Demands It: Marijuana Speech #9

9 th speech in this series to the Josephine County Commissioners, July 22, 2009.  Posted on ILoveGrantsPass.com.  Video is available at http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=893  

I thank God for my friends, and the Lord for my enemies.  Without my enemies, I wouldn’t have anyone to help me make my point better than I ever could do it alone.
I just have to love Michael Kline.  He says what nobody else has the guts to say, and says it short, sharp, and to the point.  Last week, right after my 8th speech, which is only about half-way through my list of reasons for passing  A Resolution Regarding Marijuana, he said, "I’d like to request that our sheriff arrest this last person, for admitting that she spends money on an illegal substance, and promotes the use of same.
The Sheriff was present, but his suggestion fell flat.  No move was made to arrest me, nor did anyone appear to expect him to—including Mr. Kline.  Video of these meetings for the last year is on the County Commissioner’s website.
Mr. Kline had a definite point.  I had admitted to an ongoing felony offense.  If it had been buying stolen goods instead of buying weed, I would have been in handcuffs in minutes, and my house immediately searched.
That was the case in 2005, when I was arrested for giving away pot cookies at my protest.  They thought they’d be able to convict me of dealing to a minor and a real crime, “Causing to ingest a controlled substance without knowledge or consent.” 
They were relying on false testimony; ignored their own investigation; and convicted me only of possession, precisely what I admitted to in last week’s speech.  I got probation and a fine, and got probation discharged a year early for non-cooperation.  Again, that never would have happened in a case of possessing stolen goods. 
If you want respect for law, you have to make laws respectable.   An unjust law is a contradiction in terms and garners no respect.  In fact, it reduces respect for law; and the more unjust laws there are, the less respect law gets generally—especially when they are not enforced.
So Mr. Kline has given you the best of all reasons for passing this Resolution.  If a citizen can get up in a public meeting, on TV and in front of Commissioners and the Sheriff, proudly admit to an ongoing felony offense, and fear no consequences, that law needs to be repealed.  Obviously, neither the Commissioners nor the Sheriff cares to enforce it.
I am not privileged; anyone can do what I do.  People of Josephine County, come out of your closets and talk to your Commissioners about this Resolution Regarding Marijuana.  You have nothing to lose but your fear. 
Does the Board have any questions?


Rycke Brown, Natural Gardener         541-955-9040         rycke@gardener.com

No comments:

Post a Comment