Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sun damage erased! What did it?

I’ve never been a believer in using sun screen, and I’ve worked in the sun for most of the last two decades.  Sun damage first began to show with an irregular brown spot on my forehead about 15 years back.  By 8 years ago, age 45, I had sun damage on my face so thick that I had a faint reverse raccoon mask, with only the skin around my eyes unaffected.  And yet, over the following two years, all the spots faded away, so gradually that I didn’t notice when it happened.  They have not returned; my skin is clear.
            My skin care program has not changed; I have slathered myself with olive oil after bathing since age 21, and I have firm skin and few wrinkles as a result.  But that didn’t prevent sun damage, and couldn’t clear it up.  I’ve always worn sunhats, and added long sleeves since living in Arizona.  The answer has to be diet.
            I made several changes of diet in the year or so before the spots faded away.  I switched from Wheat Thins and zucchini relish for lunch to sesame-oatmeal-chocolate-chip cookies and cashews, and started taking my daily cayenne for arthritis in a tall glass of orange-cranberry juice, rather than in tomato juice or relish.
            I had already been taking cayenne for several years, so I don’t think that’s a factor.  I hadn’t been drinking much orange juice for many years, so that’s a possibility.  I mix a bit of Knudsen’s Just Cranberry juice into it to keep my bladder healthy and cut the sweetness, about one ounce in twelve; that’s another possibility.
            Another good possibility is the sesame seeds in the sesame-oatmeal cookies, which had not previously been a regular part of my diet.  Sesame is high in calcium, iron, and is 50% oil that’s high in anti-oxidants.  I’ve recently tired of these cookies, and moved on to sesame-whole wheat crackers and tahini (sesame butter)/peanut butter cookies.  Tahini mixes well with peanut butter; you can’t taste the difference using half tahini, half peanut .
            Although I’ve always loved cashews, I had never before made them a regular part of my diet, but they have been ever since.  Their flavor is not as delicious as when I ate them only occasionally, which could mean that they contain something I was lacking of which I now have plenty.  They have high-quality saturated fat and protein; they also contain B17, the anti-cancer vitamin.  (Search World Without Cancer, book or movie.)

            Any one of four foods might have cleaned up my sun damage: orange juice; cranberry juice; sesame; or cashews.  It could also be a combination of 2 or more.  I’d like to know if anyone else has had sun damage spontaneously disappear, and had recently added any of these foods to one’s diet.  Or, conversely, anyone who has such damage could try one food at a time to see what disappears.  

1 comment:

  1. Turns out that the sesame seeds, which are 50% highly anti-oxidant oil, cleared up my spots. Cashews may have exacerbated my arthritis.

    http://news-you-can-use-by-rycke.blogspot.com/2014/10/sesame-cleared-up-my-sun-spots.html.

    http://current-news-you-can-use.blogspot.com/2014/10/cashews-made-my-arthritis-worse.html

    ReplyDelete